Basically cancer appears as a result of DNA damage produced by a damaging action of carcinogenic factors. If this damage is repaired, the injury is of no consequence. If this is not so, because the damage is very large, repeated, or because the power of DNA repair is reduced, the cell is likely to start the path to malignancy. The loss of “cell control”, which prevents successive cell divisions remains in the injury of their DNA, allowing the evolution to the tumor cell
The immune system is in charge of cell recognition and non-cell recognition, being the body’s defense against threat such as infectious microorganisms and malignant cells. Immune response is the process by which the immune system attacks and defends against organisms and substances that attack the body’s systems and cause disease.
Key among the network of cells, tissues, and organs that work together to protect the body are white blood cells, or leukocytes, which function to seek out and destroy disease-causing organisms or substances. These leukocytes are also known as lymphoid organs because of where they are stored throughout the body, i.e. the thymus, spleen, and bone marrow. Leukoctyes are also present in the body’s lymph nodes, as well as circulate through the body’s organs and nodes via lymphatic vessels and blood vessels.
The immune system orchestrates a coordinated ‘monitor-and-response’ process, identifying germs or other irregular substances in the body that might impair cell or system function. Unfortunately we know that the immune system is not responsive to drugs for healing; for example long-term use of antibiotics to fight infections can actually depress the immune system.
Inflammation and Angiogenesis, A New Therapeutic Approach
It is well known that vascular microcirculation or multiplication, also known as angiogenesis is directly involved in the growth and tumor extension. Without vascular neo-formation, tumor growth is not possible.
Years ago, angiogenesis was considered part of the embryonic tissue, however in recent years, it has been discovered that it forms a part of the tissue regeneration process and very specifically, in the tumor growth process.
It has been found that the inhibition of angiogenesis leads to regression of solid tumors. For this, it is considered that inhibiting angiogenesis can be useful to prevent the occurrence of microscopic metastases and keep the tumor somewhat asleep.
The immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory components of the program are:
- Maitake and Shitake mushrooms, used in conventional hospitals in Japan for their anti-inflammatory properties.
- Vitamin D, extensive literature demonstrates its action as a preventive agent and treatment of immunological abnormalities.
- Curcumin/turmeric, with extensive research which proves it to be a a potent blocker of COX-2, an enzyme found in our bodies which can stimulate cancer progression.
- Green tea Extract, which through its polyphenols, counteract free radical product and chronic inflammation of tissue hypoxia.
- Probiotics, 80% to 85% of our immune system is located in the gastrointestinal tract to the Peyer’s patch tissue known as MALT and GALT. These bacteria have multiple functions including cellular repair of such a system as well as immune modulation.
- Resveratrol, an effective treatment agent for a range of cancers, both at the preventive and treatment stages.
For more information about this or any other step in the journey, contact us today.